Split happens when portions of objects/volumes get populated that were previously sparse. Each RADOS object by default is 4MB chunk and volumes comprise of these objects There is no RADOS object created when there is no write on that region. When write spans sparse portions of the volume, new RADOS objects are created under directory that maps the PG to which the object belongs.

Regards,
Anand

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Nick Fisk <nick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I believe splitting will happen on writes, merging I think only happens on deletions.

From: Paul Renner [mailto:rennerp78@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 10 July 2016 19:40
To: nick@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Filestore merge and split

Thanks...

Do you know when splitting or merging will happen? Is it enough that a directory is read, eg. through scrub? If possible I would like to initiate the process

Regards

Paul

You need to set the option in the ceph.conf and restart the OSD I think. But it will only take effect when splitting or merging in the future, it won't adjust the current folder layout.