Re: Quick short survey which SSDs

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 09:23:27 +0200 Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have offers for ceph storage nodes with different SSD types and some
> are already mentioned as a very good choice but some are total new to me.
>
> May be you could give some feedback on the SSDs in question or provide
> just small information which you primarily us?
>
> Regarding the three disk in questions it is not a question of the price
> (good conditions :) ). More the question of reliability and real world
> experiences.
>
> We plan to use 48*800 SSDs, so this is not just for fun.
>

> Well known SSD: Intel DC S3710
>
> Unfamiliar: Samsung SM863
>
> Unfamiliar: Seagate ST800FM0043 (amazing fact sheet, very good
> conditions!)

While this review:

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_12002_micron_s600dc_enterprise_sas_ssd_review

doesn't of course address the suitability of these SSDs for Ceph journals,
it raises a number of points with regards to latency and consistency of
IOPS (spikes).
Simply based on this data I wouldn't go for them.

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/