Re: pg scrub and auto repair in hammer

Am 28.06.2016 um 09:06 schrieb Christian Balzer:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 08:34:26 +0200 Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:

>>> Short answer:
>>> No, in any version of Ceph.
>>>
>>> Long answer:
>>> There are currently no checksums generated by Ceph and present to
>>> facilitate this.
>>
>> Yes but if you have a replication count of 3 ceph pg repair was always
>> working for me since bobtail. I've never seen corrupted data.
>>
> That's good and lucky for you.
>
> Not seeing corrupted data also doesn't mean there wasn't any corruption,
> it could simply mean that the data in question wasn't used or overwritten
> before being read again.

Sure that's correct ;-) It just has happened so often that i thought
this could not always be the case. We had a lot of kernel crashes the
last month regarding XFS and bcache.

> In the handful of scrub errors I ever encountered there was one case where
> blindly doing a repair from the primary PG would have been the wrong thing
> to do.

Are your sure it really simply uses the primary pg? i always thought it
compares the sizes of the object and date with a replication factor 3.

>>> If you'd run BTRFS or ZFS with filestore you'd be closer to an
>>> automatic state of affairs, as these filesystems do strong checksums
>>> and check them on reads and would create an immediate I/O error if
>>> something got corrupted, thus making it clear which OSD is in need of
>>> the hammer of healing.
>>
>> Yes but at least BTRFS is still not working for ceph due to
>> fragmentation. I've even tested a 4.6 kernel a few weeks ago. But it
>> doubles it's I/O after a few days.
>>
> Nobody (well, certainly not me) suggested to use BTRFS, especially with
> Bluestore "around the corner".
>
> Just pointing out that it has the necessary checksumming features.

Sure. sorry.

Stefan