Re: pg scrub and auto repair in hammer

Hello,

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 09:49:54 +0200 Dan van der Ster wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 2:14 AM, Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 19:48:18 +0200 Stefan Priebe wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> is there any option or chance to have auto repair of pgs in hammer?
> >>
> > Short answer:
> > No, in any version of Ceph.
>
> Well, jewel has a new option to auto-repair a PG if the num errors
> found in deep-scrub are above a threshold:
>
>     "osd_scrub_auto_repair": "false",
>     "osd_scrub_auto_repair_num_errors": "5",

The only good thing about this would be that it's off by default.

Because as discussed countless times here and mentioned by Sage in the
Bluestore tech talk last week, there isn't really any automatic way to
determine what the good data is.

Looking at the names for those config options I don't see "PG" in there,
so maybe this is indeed on a per OSD level, meaning that if an OSD racks
up more than 5 (distinct) scrub errors it will get auto-repaired.
That would be based on the assumption that an OSD with so many errors is
failing in some sorts.
But I can see scenarios where with low replication and OSD numbers this
may fail spectacular.

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/