Re: Disk failures

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 12:46:49 +0200 Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:

> Il 15 giu 2016 09:58, "Christian Balzer" <chibi@xxxxxxx> ha scritto
> > You _do_ know how and where Ceph/RBD store their data?
> >
> > Right now that's on disks/SSDs, formated with a file system.
> > And XFS or EXT4 will not protect against bitrot, while BTRFS and ZFS
> > will.
> >

> Wait, I'm new to ceph and some things are not clear to me.
> Even using rbd for block devices ceph still write everything as a file
> on a filesystem?

Ceph RADOS, on which all other views (RBD/RADOSGW/CephFS) are based writes
things to objects, which are by default 4MB in size and files on the OSDs,
which in turn are currently filesystems.

> I've always thought that only cephfs was using files and rbd was storing
> directly to block devices with no fs under it.

That's the future with bluestore, which is K/V based storage.

> Pretty similiar to glusterfs in this.
>
> My mistake.

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications