Re: Disk failures

Hello,

On Wed, 08 Jun 2016 20:26:56 +0000 Krzysztof Nowicki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> śr., 8.06.2016 o 21:35 użytkownik Gandalf Corvotempesta <
> gandalf.corvotempesta@xxxxxxxxx> napisał:

> > krzysztof.a.nowicki@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > > From my own experience with failing HDDs I've seen cases where the
> > > drive
> > was
> > > failing silently initially. This manifested itself in repeated deep
> > > scrub failures. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Ceph keeps
> > > checksums of data being written and in case that data is read back
> > > corrupted on one of the OSDs this will be detected by scrub and
> > > reported as inconsistency. In
> > such
> > > cases automatic repair should be sufficient as having the checksums
> > > it is possible to tell which copy is correct. In such case the OSD
> > > will not be removed automatically and it's for the cluster
> > > administrator to get suspicious in case such an inconsistency occurs
> > > repeatedly and remove the OSD in question.
> >
> > Ok but could this lead to data corruption? What would happens to the
> > client if a write fails?
> >
> If a write fails due to an IO error on the underlying HDD the OSD daemon
> will most likely abort.
Indeed it will.

> In case a write succeeds but gets corrupted by a silent HDD failure you
> will have corrupted data on this OSD. I'm not sure if Ceph verifies the
> checksums upon read, but if it doesn't then the data read back by the
> client could be corrupted in case the corruption happened on the primary
> OSD for that PG.
That.

Ceph currently doesn't do any (relevant) checksumming at all, so if a
PRIMARY PG suffers from bit-rot this will be undetected until the next
deep-scrub.

This is one of the longest and gravest outstanding issues with Ceph and
supposed to be addressed with bluestore (which currently doesn't have
checksum verified reads either).

> The behaviour could also be affected by the filesystem the OSD is
> running. For example BTRFS is known for keeping data checksums and in
> such case reading corrupted data will fail at filesystem level and the
> OSD will just see an IO error.

Correct.

However BTRFS (and ZFS) as filestore for Ceph do open other cans of worms.

Regards,

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/