Re: strange cache tier behaviour with cephfs

Hello,

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 06:47:03 +0100 Nick Fisk wrote:

> osd_tier_promote_max_objects_sec
> and
> osd_tier_promote_max_bytes_sec

Right, I remember those from February and May.

And I'm not asking for this feature, but personally I would have split
that in read and write promotes.
As in, throttle promotes done to satisfy reads, but not for writes (as that
will benefit from the faster pool a lot more).

> is what you are looking for, I think by default its set to 5MB/s, which
> would roughly correlate to why you are only seeing around 8 objects each
> time being promoted. This was done like this as too many promotions hurt
> performance, so you don't actually want to promote on every IO.

Well, I do, but yeah.

Obviously the defaults were picked to be on the safe side of things,
though anybody running a cache tier worth its salt will be able to handle
more than 5MB/s.

But never mind that, since these parameters are not documented on the
cache-tiering documentation page new users like Oliver will get unexpected
results.
And existing cache-tier users will be rudely surprised, as this isn't
mentioned in the changelog either...

Christian