Re: Best upgrade strategy

Best practices in general say to do them separate. If something doesn't work... Is it the new kernel, some package that are different on 16.04, Jewel, etc. The less things in that list the easier it is to track down the issue and fix it.

As far as order, hammer 0.94.5 wasn't built with 16.04 in mind. Jewel lists both as compatibilities. I would say upgrade to jewel, make sure things are stable, and then upgrade to 16.04. It might even be wise to add a third upgrade step of running the kernel you'll be using on 16.04 before you upgrade to 16.04 to separate the 2 out.

The biggest question though is why you're upgrading Ubuntu. New software does not mean better. The 3.16 kernel was the last kernel before an xfs file system regression was added to the kernel and hadn't been fixed yet in 4.2. So Ceph storage nodes running osds on xfs would be better on the much older kernel.

Sent from my iPhone