Re: 2 networks vs 2 NICs

On 06/04/2016 06:12 PM, Nick Fisk wrote:
Yes, this is fine. I currently use 2 bonded 10G nics which have the
untagged vlan as the public network and a tagged vlan as the cluster
network.
Thanks for info!

However, when I build my next cluster I will probably forgo the
separate cluster network and just run them over the same IP, as after
running the cluster, I don't see any benefit from separate networks
when taking into account the extra complexity. Something to
consider.
Well, i was thinking to reduce the internal chatter just to specified vlan..
OTOH all nodes will stay on the same switch so i am not sure if it's
worth it..

Thank you!
Adrian

-----Original Message----- From: ceph-users
[mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Adrian
Sevcenco Sent: 04 June 2016 16:11 To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  2 networks vs 2 NICs

Hi! I seen in discussion and in documentation that "networks" is
used interchangeable with "NIC" (which also is a different thing
than interface) .. So, my question is :for an OSD server with 24
OSDs with a single 40 GB NIC would be ok to have a public network
on the main interface and a vlan (virtual) interface for the
cluster network?

Thank you! Adrian