Re: Best Network Switches for Redundancy

> > For two links it should be quite good - it seemed to balance across
> > that quite well, but with 4 links it seemed to really prefer 2 in my case.
> >
> Just for the record, did you also change the LACP policies on the switches?
>
> From what I gather, having fancy pants L3+4 hashing on the Linux side will not
> fix imbalances by itself, the switches need to be configured likewise.

Yes - I was changing policies on both sides in similar manners but it seemed to be that the way the OSDs selected their service ports just happened to hash consistently to the same links.   There just wasn't enough variation in the combinations of L3+L4 or even L2 hash output to utilise more of the links (the even numbered ports and consistent IP pairs just kept returning the same link output for the hash algorithm).   Some of the more simplistic round robin methods might have got better results but I didn't want to stick with for future scalability.

In a larger scale deployment with more clients or a wider pool of OSDs that would probably not be the case as there would be greater distribution of hash inputs.  Just something to be aware of when you look to do LACP with more than 2 links.