Re: Fwd: [Ceph-community] Wasting the Storage capacity when using Ceph based On high-end storage systems

Thanks for testing that out. I was getting worried I had ordered the wrong
kit!!!

> While its ~ 20-70 %wa without that 3 of 4 100% busy cores, with ~ 40-50%
Idle
> time.
>
> ---
>
> That means, that %wa does not harm the cpu (considerable).
>
> I dont dare to start a new srubbing now again at day time.

Are you possibly getting poor performance during scrubs due to disk
contention rather than cpu?

> So this numbers are missing right now.
>
> In the very end it means, that you should be fine with your 12x HDD.
>
> So in the very end, the more cores you have, the GHz in sum you get
>
> ( 4x4 GHz E3 vs. 12-24x 2,4 GHz E5 )
>
> and this way, the more OSD's you can run, without being the CPU the
> bottleneck.
>
> While > frequency == > task performance ( write at most ).

Yes, that was my plan to get good write latency, but still be able to scale
easily/cheaply by using the E3's. Also keep in mind with too many cores,
they will start scaling down their frequency to save power if they are not
kept busy. If a process gets assigned to a sleeping clocked down core, it
takes a while for it to boost back up. I found this could cause a 10-30% hit
in performance.

FYI, here is the tests I run last year
http://www.sys-pro.co.uk/ceph-storage-fast-cpus-ssd-performance/

I actually found I could get better than 1600 if I ran a couple of CPU
stress tests to keep the cores running at turbo speed. I also tested with
the journal on a ram disk to eliminate the SSD speed from the equation and
managed to get near 2500iops, which is pretty good for QD=1.