Re: Fwd: [Ceph-community] Wasting the Storage capacity when using Ceph based On high-end storage systems

Hello,

you may want to read up on the various high-density node threads and
conversations here.

You most certainly do NOT need high end-storage systems to create
multi-petabyte storage systems with Ceph.

If you were to use these chassis as a basis:

https://www.supermicro.com.tw/products/system/4U/6048/SSG-6048R-E1CR60N.cfm
[We (and surely others) urged Supermicro to provide a design like this]

And fill them with 6TB HDDs, configure them as 5x 12HDD RAID6s, set your
replication to 2 in Ceph, you will wind up with VERY reliable, resilient
1.2PB per rack (32U, leaving space for other bits and not melting the
PDUs).
Add fast SSDs or NVMes to this case for journals and you have decently
performing mass storage.

Need more IOPS for really hot data?
Add a cache tier or dedicated SSD pools for special needs/customers.

Alternatively, do "classic" Ceph with 3x replication or EC coding, but in
either case (even more so with EC) you will need the most firebreathing
CPUs available, so compared to the above design it may be a zero sum game
cost wise, if not performance wise as well.
This leaves you with 960TB in the same space when doing 3x replication.

A middle of the road approach would be to use RAID1 or 10 based OSDs to
bring down the computational needs in exchange for higher storage costs
(effective 4x replication).
This only gives you 720TB, alas it will be easier (and cheaper CPU cost
wise) to achieve peak performance with this approach compared to the one
above with 60 OSDs per node.

Lastly, I give you this (and not being a fan of Fujitsu, mind):
http://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/storage/eternus-cd/

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/