Re: Fwd: [Ceph-community] Wasting the Storage capacity when using Ceph based On high-end storage systems

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for this, very interesting and relevant to me at the moment as your
two hardware platforms mirror exactly my existing and new cluster.

Just a couple of comments inline.

CPU
> stats, that its frequently running into 0% Idle because the CPU has to
wait for
> the HDDs ( %WA ). And because the core has to wait for the hardware, its
> CPU power will not be used for something else because its in waiting
state.

Not sure if this was visible in the paste dump, but what is the run queue
for both systems? When I looked into this a while back, I thought load
included IOWait in its calculation, but IOWait itself didn't stop another
thread getting run on the CPU if needed. Effectively IOWait = IDLE (if
needed). From what I understand the run queue on the CPU dictates whether or
not there are too many threads queuing to run and thus slow performance. So
I think your example for the E3 shows that there is still around 66% of the
CPU available for processing. As a test, could you trying running something
like "stress" to consume CPU cycles and see if the IOWait drops?

> So even the E3 CPU get the job done faster, the HDD's are usually too slow
> and the bottleneck. So the E3 can not take real advantage of his higher
> Power per core. And because he has a low number of cores, the number of
> "waiting state" cores becomes fast as big as the total number of cpu
cores.

I did some testing last year by scaling the CPU frequency and measuring
write latency. If you are using SSD journals, then I found the frequency
makes a massive difference to small write IO's. If you are doing mainly
reads with HDD's, then faster Cores probably won't do much.

> The result is, that there is an overload of the system, and we are running
in
> an evil nightmare of IOPS.

Are you actually seeing problems with the cluster? I would interested to
hear what you are encountering?

> But again: I can not meassure it really. I can not see which HDD delivers
which
> data and how fast.
>
> So maybe the E5 is slowing down the whole stuff. Maybe not.
>
> But for me, the probability, that a 4 Core System with 0% Idle left at
> 12/13 systemload is "guilty", is higher than a 24v Core System, with still
~ 50%
> Idletime and a 18/19 systemload.
>
> But, of course, i have to admit, because of the 32 GB RAM vs. 64 GB RAM,
the
> compare might be more like apple's and orange's. Maybe with similar RAM,
> the system will perform similar.

I'm sticking 64GB in my E3 servers to be on the safe side.

> But you can judge the stats yourself, and maybe gain some knowledge from
> it :-)
>
> For us, what we will do here next, after jewel is now out, we will build
up a
> new cluster with:
>
> 2x E5-2620v3, 128 GB RAM, HBA -> JBOD configuration while we will add a
> SSD cache tier. So right now, i still believe, that with the E3, because
of the
> limited number of cores, you are more limited on the maximum numbers of
> OSD's you can run with it.

If you do need more cores, I think a better solution might be a 8 or 10 core
single CPU. There seems to be a lot of evidence that sticking with a single
socket is best for ceph if you can.

> Maybe with your E3, your 12 HDDs ( depending on/especially if you have
> (SSD) cache tier in between ) will run fine. But i think you are going
here into
> an area where, in special conditions ( hardware failure/deeb scrub/... )
your
> storage performance with an E3 will fastly loose so much speed, that your
> applications will not operate smooth anymore.
>
> But again, many factor's are involved, so make ur own picture :-)
>

> --
> Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards
>
> Oliver Dzombic
> IP-Interactive
>
> mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Anschrift:
>
> IP Interactive UG ( haftungsbeschraenkt ) Zum Sonnenberg 1-3
> 63571 Gelnhausen
>
> HRB 93402 beim Amtsgericht Hanau
> Geschäftsführung: Oliver Dzombic
>
> Steuer Nr.: 35 236 3622 1
> UST ID: DE274086107
>

> Am 31.05.2016 um 09:41 schrieb Nick Fisk:
> > Hi Oliver,

OSD's.