Re: Increasing pg_num

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 10:40:47PM +0200, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> > Op 16 mei 2016 om 7:56 schreef Chris Dunlop <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Why do we have both pg_num and pgp_num? Given the docs say "The pgp_num
> > should be equal to the pg_num": under what circumstances might you want
> > these different, apart from when actively increasing pg_num first then
> > increasing pgp_num to match? (If they're supposed to be always the same, why
> > not have a single parameter and do the "increase pg_num, then pgp_num"
> > within ceph's internals?)
>
> pg_num is the actual amount of PGs. This you can increase without any actual data moving.
>
> pgp_num is the number CRUSH uses in the calculations. pgp_num can't be greater than pg_num for that reason.

OK, I understand that from the docs. But why are they two separate
parameters? E.g., why might you increase pg_num and not pgp_num?  Or are the
two parameters purely to separate splitting the PGs (pg_num) from moving
data around (pgp_num)?

> You can slowly increase pgp_num to make sure not all your data moves at the same time.

Why slowly increase pgp_num rather than rely on "osd max backfills"?  I.e.
what downsides are there to setting "osd max backfills" as appropriate,
increasing pg_num in small steps to the target, then increasing pgp_num to
the target in one step?

If you're slowly increasing pgp_num, is the recommendation to "increase
pg_num a bit, increase pgp_num a bit, repeat till target is reached" (and
thus potentially moving some data multiple times), or is the recommendation
to "increase pg_num a bit step by step to the target, then increase pgp_num
bit by bit to the target"?