Re: Increasing pg_num

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 08:21:48AM +0900, Christian Balzer wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2016 22:40:47 +0200 (CEST) Wido den Hollander wrote:
> >
> > pg_num is the actual amount of PGs. This you can increase without any
> > actual data moving.
>
> Yes and no.
>
> Increasing the pg_num will split PGs, which causes potentially massive I/O.
> Also AFAIK that I/O isn't regulated by the various recovery and backfill
> parameters.

Where is this potentially massive I/O coming from? I have this naive concept
that the PGs are mathematically-calculated buckets, so splitting them would
involve little or no I/O, although I can imagine there are management
overheads (cpu, memory) involved in correctly maintaining state during the
splitting process.

> That's probably why recent Ceph versions will only let you increase pg_num
> in smallish increments.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that!

Ok, so it looks like it's mon_osd_max_split_count, introduced by commit
d8ccd73. Unfortunately it seems to be missing from the ceph docs. It's
mentioned in the Suse docs:

https://www.suse.com/documentation/ses-2/singlehtml/book_storage_admin/book_storage_admin.html#storage.bp.cluster_mntc.add_pgnum

...although, if I'm understanding "mon_osd_max_split_count" correctly, their
script for calculating the maximum to which you can increase pg_num is
incorrect in that it's calculating "current pg_num +
mon_osd_max_split_count" when it should be "current pg_num +
(mon_osd_max_split_count * number of pool OSDs)".

Hmmm, is there a generic command-line(ish) way of determining the number of
OSDs involved in a pool?