Re: Starting a cluster with one OSD node

On Sat, 14 May 2016 09:46:23 -0700 Mike Jacobacci wrote:

Hello,

> Hi Alex,
>
> Thank you for your response! Yes, this is for a production
> environment... Do you think the risk of data loss due to the single node
> be different than if it was an appliance or a Linux box with raid/zfs?

Depends.

Ceph by default distributes 3 replicas amongst the storage nodes, giving
you fault tolerances along the lines of RAID6.
So (again by default), the smallest cluster you want to start with is 3
nodes.

OF course you could modify the CRUSH rules to place 3 replicas based on
OSDs, not nodes.

However that only leaves you with 3 disks worth of capacity in your case
and still the data movement Alex mentioned when adding more nodes AND
modifying the CRUSH rules.

Lastly I personally wouldn't deploy anything that's a SPoF in production.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/