Re: how ceph mon works

> Op 26 april 2016 om 23:24 schreef yang sheng <forsaks.30@xxxxxxxxx>:
>

> Hi
>
> according to ceph docs, it recommend 3 monitors as least. All the clients
> will contact monitors first to get the ceph map and connect the osd.

Yes, indeed.

> I am curious that if I have 3 monitors, are these monitors run in
> master-master mode or master-slave mode?  In another word, will clients
> talk to any of these 3 monitors or all clients can only talk to one monitor
> and if that monitor is unreachable, than they talk to the second monitor?

During the election process one monitor will become the 'leader' and others will become 'peons'.

A client can talk to each monitor, but the peons will forward commands to the leader which makes the decisions inside the cluster.

Clients are aware of all the Monitors in a cluster, so if a monitor goes down they can contact the other one.

Wido