Re: Replace Journal

Hello,

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 06:20:17 +0200 Martin Wilderoth wrote:

> I have a ceph cluster and I will change my journal devices to new SSD's.
>
> In some instructions of doing this they refer to a journal file (link to
> UUID of journal )
>
> In my OSD folder this journal don’t exist.

If your cluster is "years old" and not created with ceph-disk, then yes,
that's not surprising.
Mind, I created a recent one of mine manually and still used that scheme:
--- ls -la /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-12/
total 80
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root  4096 Mar  1 14:44 .
drwxr-xr-x   8 root root  4096 Sep 10  2015 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root root    37 Sep 10  2015 ceph_fsid
drwxr-xr-x 320 root root 24576 Mar  2 20:24 current
-rw-r--r--   1 root root    37 Sep 10  2015 fsid
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    44 Sep 10  2015 journal -> /dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x55cd2e404b77573c-part5
-rw-------   1 root root    57 Sep 10  2015 keyring
---

Ceph isn't magical, so if that link isn't there, you probably have
something like this in your ceph.conf, preferably with UUID instead of the
possibly changing device name:
---
[osd.0]
    host = ceph-01
    osd journal = /dev/sdc3
---

> This instructions is renaming the UUID of new device to the old UUID not
> to break anything.
>
> i was planning to use the command ceph-osd --mkjournal and update the
> ceph. conf accordingly.
>
> Do I need to take care of my missing journal symlink, i think it is a
> symlink ?
> Why is it there, and how is it used ?.
>
> I actually don’t remember the command i used to create the disk but it's
> some years ago and i doubt i used ceph-disk.
>
> I found the following process in this list, that seemed good. But its
> still not clear to me if i can skip this journal link ?
>
> *set noout*
> *stop the osds*
> *flush the journal*
> *replace journal SSDs*
> recreate journal partitions
> update ceph.conf to reflect new journal device names
Either that or remove the location and create the symlink.
In both cases UUID is the fail-safe way to go.
> *recreate the journal (for the existing osds)*
> *start the osds*
> *unset noout*

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications