From: "Martin Wilderoth" <martin.wilderoth@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2016 1:20:17 PM
Subject:  Replace Journal

I have a ceph cluster and I will change my journal devices to new SSD's .

In some instructions of doing this they refer to a journal file (link to UUID of journal )

In my OSD folder this journal don’t exist.

This instructions is renaming the UUID of new device to the old UUID not to break anything.

i was planning to use the command ceph - osd -- mkjournal and update the ceph . conf accordingly.

Do I need to take care of my missing journal symlink , i think it is a symlink ?
Why is it there, and how is it used ?.

I actually don’t remember the command i used to create the disk but it's some years ago and i doubt i used ceph -disk.

I found the following process in this list, that seemed good. But its still not clear to me if i can skip this journal link ?

set noout
stop the osds
flush the journal
replace journal SSDs
recreate journal partitions
update ceph . conf to reflect new journal device names
recreate the journal (for the existing osds )
start the osds
unset noout