Re: fibre channel as ceph storage interconnect

On Apr 21, 2016, at 11:10 PM, Schlacta, Christ <aarcane@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Would it be worth while development effort to establish a block
protocol between the nodes so that something like fibre channel could
be used to communicate internally?

With 25/100 Ethernet & IB becoming available now...and with some effort to integrate IB and ceph already completed, I can’t see FC for OSDs getting any traction.

 Looks like I'll have to look into infiniband or
CE, and possibly migrate away from Fibre Channel, even though it kinda
just works, and therefore I really like it :(

If by CE you’re referring to Converged Enhanced Ethernet and it’s brethren (DCB/DCE), those technologies should be transparent to Ceph and provide some degree of improvement over standard Ethernet behaviors.  YMMV.

As for FC ‘just works…’  +1   (but I really don’t want to inspire a flame war on the topic)

- Paul