Re: Maximizing OSD to PG quantity

Hello,

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 18:15:57 +0000 David Turner wrote:

> You can mitigate how much it affects the IO but for the cost of how long
> it will take to complete.
>
> ceph tell osd.* injectargs '--osd-max-backfills #'

Also have a read of:
https://www.mail-archive.com/ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg27970.html
for more knobs to twiddle.

> Where # is the most pgs any osd can participate backfill data for at any
> given time.  This is the same setting that is used when you add, remove,
> lose, or reweight osds in your cluster.  The lower the number, the less
> impact to cluster IO but the longer it will take to finish the task.
> Max-backfills of 5 seems to work out well enough to get through things
> in a timely manner while not critically impacting IO.  I do up that to
> 20 if I need speed more than IO.  These numbers are very dependent on
> your individual hardware and configuration.

Very very, true words.

Which brings me to the OP, you haven't told us your cluster details.
12 OSDs sounds like 2 hosts with 6 OSDs each to me.
If that's the case, you'll need/want a 3rd host.

If you already have 3 or more storage nodes, you can go ahead with the
replica increase, but note that this will not only reduce your storage
capacity accordingly but also have an impact on performance, one more OSD
will have to ACK each write. This will be particular noticeable with
non-SSD journals, but the additional network latency will be there in any
case.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/