Graphing Ceph Latency with Graphite

Hi All,

Thought I would just share this as it's taken me a couple of hours to work
it out.

I'm using Diamond+Carbon+Graphite to collect the perf dump output from the
admin sockets. The Diamond collector is really good at capturing everything,
but stores the sum+avgcount directly into Carbon.

In Graphite 0.10.0 there are new map+reduce functions which will finally let
you calculate the average (or min/max.etc) latency over all of your OSD's
with just one line. Ignore any info suggesting it's in the 0.9.x series.it's
not :-(

I'm running Graphite 0.9.15 as its packaged, but it was fairly easy just to
copy the new functions into the python source, nothing else needed changing.

Anyway here is the one liner

scale(averageSeries(reduceSeries(mapSeries(aliasByNode(nonNegativeDerivative
(servers.*.CephCollector.ceph.osd.*.osd.op_w_latency.*),1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8),1),
"divideSeries",7,"sum","avgcount")),1000)

This will work for any of the counters that have the sum+avgcount format

Hope that helps someone
Nick

Ps. If anyone has a link, describing what each of the ceph perf counters do
in more detail,  I would be very happy if you could share it. Otherwise I
shall probably ask a lot of questions and then write something up myself.