Antw: Re: Ceph + Libvirt + QEMU-KVM

>>> Bill WONG <wongahshuen@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb am Donnerstag, 28. Januar
2016 um
09:30:
> Hi Marius,

Hello,

> with ceph rdb, it looks can support qcow2 as well as per its
document: -
> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/qemu-rbd/
> --
> Important The raw data format is really the only sensible format
option to
> use with RBD. Technically, you could use other QEMU-supported formats
(such
> as qcow2 or vmdk), but doing so would add additional overhead, and
would
> also render the volume unsafe for virtual machine live migration
when
> caching (see below) is enabled.

Normally my question would be off topic in this list, but I asked it
already in the qemu list
and got no answer:

Is there documentation available on how to do live migration on rbd
disks
with the qemu-monitor?

> ---
>
> without having qcow2, the qemu-kvm cannot make snapshot and other
> features.... anyone have ideas or experiences on this?
> thank you!

Why using qemu snapshots when rbd-snapshots are available?

Regards

Steffen

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Marius Vaitiekunas <
> mariusvaitiekunas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> With ceph rbd you should use raw image format. As i know qcow2 is
not
>> supported.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 6:21 AM, Bill WONG <wongahshuen@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>>> Hi Simon,
>>>
>>> i have installed ceph package into the compute node, but it looks
qcow2
>>> format is unable to create.. it show error with : Could not write
qcow2
>>> header: Invalid argument
>>>
>>> ---
>>> qemu-img create -f qcow2 rbd:storage1/CentOS7-3 10G
>>> Formatting 'rbd:storage1/CentOS7-3', fmt=qcow2 size=10737418240
>>> encryption=off cluster_size=65536 lazy_refcounts=off
refcount_bits=16
>>> qemu-img: rbd:storage1/CentOS7-3: Could not write qcow2 header:
Invalid

<sironside@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

OSDs/monitors

--