Re: Ceph rdb question about possibilities

Yum repo is not an intensive workload, take a look at GFS2 or OCFS then.

Jan

On 28 Jan 2016, at 13:23, Sándor Szombat <szombat.sandor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry I forget something: we use ceph for another things (for example docker registry backend).
And yes, cephfs maybe overkill but we seach for best solution now. And we want to reduce the used tools count so we can solve this with Ceph it's good.

Thanks for your help and I will check these.

Yum repo doesn't really sound like something "mission critical" (in my experience). You need to wait for the repo to update anyway before you can use the package, so not something realtime either.
CephFS is overkill for this.

I would either simply rsync the repo between the three machines via cron (and set DNS to point to all three IPs they have). If you need something "more realtime" than you can use for example incron.
Or you can push new packages to all three and refresh them (assuming you have some tools that do that already).
Or if you want to use Ceph then you can create one rbd image that only gets mounted on one of the hosts, and if that goes down you remount it elsewhere (by hand, or via pacemaker, cron script...). I don't think Ceph makes sense if that going to be the only use, though...

Maybe you could also push the packages to RadosGW, but I'm not familiar with it that much, not sure how you build a repo that points there. This would make sense but I have no idea if it's simple to do.

Jan