Re: Ceph rdb question about possibilities

Le 28/01/2016 11:06, Sándor Szombat a écrit :
Hello all!

I check the Ceph FS, but it is beta now unfortunatelly. I start to meet
with the rdb. It is possible to create an image in a pool, mount it as a
block device (for example /dev/rbd0), and format this as HDD, and mount
it on 2 host? I tried to make this, and it's work but after mount
the  /dev/rbd0 on the two host and I tried to put files into these
mounted folders it can't refresh automatically between hosts.
So the main question: this will be a possible solution?
(The task: we have 3 main node what can install the other nodes with
ansible, and we want to store our rpm's in ceph it is possible. This is
necessary because of high avability.)

Thanks for your help!

Hi Sándor,

sharing a block device and filesystem between two or more hosts is only possible with a purpose-built filesystem : a shared-disk clustered filesystem like OCFS2 or others listed here [0].

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clustered_file_system#Shared-disk_file_system

Classic filesystems like EXT{2,3,4}, XFS, ... are meant to be mounted by one host at a time, otherwise, corruption ensues.

Loris