attempt to access beyond end of device on osd prepare

Hi All,

I'm setting up a new cluster and owing to an unrelated mistake I made during setup I've been paying particular attention to the system log on the OSD server.

When I run the ceph-deploy osd prepare step, an 'access beyond end of device' error is logged just after the file system is mounted where it seems to be attempting to reach one block beyond the end of the disk:

Jan 26 16:13:47 ceph-osd1 kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
Jan 26 16:13:47 ceph-osd1 kernel: sde1: rw=0, want=7814035088, limit=7814035087

This happens with every disk in the OSD host, whether configured for internal or external journals, and also appears when the OSDs are remounted if the host is rebooted. The OSDs start up and seem to function just fine.

I've checked the XFS file system is without the bounds of the partition with xfs_info, and it is. I've also checked the OSD hosts in my other live clusters but they don't show this error so I'm reluctant to ignore it.

As this is a new cluster it doesn't yet contain anything important so it's no problem to flatten it and start again. I'm using hammer 0.94.5 on RHEL 7.2.

Thanks,
Simon.