Reducing cluster size

Hi,

I have a ceph cluster consisting of 4 hosts. Two of them have 3 SSD OSD each and the other two 8 HDD OSD each. I have different crush rules for ssd and hdd.

Now when  i first made the cluster i only gave one ssd for journaling to all 8 hdd osd on the host. The host has 10 sata ports. One is used for OS, one for journaling and 8 for osd. Now i want to add another journal ssd on the 2 hosts each. So i need to remove one hdd osd from each host,

Following the docs, i set an osd as out and the cluster starts rebalancing data. My problem is that it never achieves active+clean state. I always end up with some pgs stuck unclean. If i bring the osd back in the cluster returns to an active+clean state (with an error of too many pgs per osd 431-max 300).

I run a mds server aswell and radosgw.

What could be the problem. How can i shrink the cluster to add 2 more journals?!

Should i restart the mons and osd after rebalancing?

Thank you!