Re: SSD OSDs - more Cores or more GHz

Hello,

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 10:01:19 +0100 Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> we plan to use more ssd OSDs in our first cluster layout instead of SAS
> osds. (more IO is needed than space)
>
> short question: What would influence the performance more? more Cores or
> more GHz/Core.
>
> Or is it as always: Depeds on the total of
> OSDs/nodes/repl-level/etc ... :)

While there certainly is a "depends" in there, my feeling is that faster
cores are more helpful than many, slower ones.
And this is how I spec'ed my first SSD nodes, 1 fast core (Intel, thus 2
pseudo-cores) per OSD.
The reasoning is simple, an individual OSD thread will run (hopefully) on
one core and thus be faster, with less latency(!).

> If needed, I can give some more detailed information on the layout.

Might be interesting for other sanity checks, if you don't mind.

Regards,

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/