Re: ubuntu 14.04 or centos 7

If you need to get Ceph up&running as part of some enterprise project, where you can't touch it after it gets in production without PM approval and a Change Request then CentOS is what fits in that box. You are unlikely to break anything during upgrades and you get new hardware support and (not too many) new features in new point releases. Ubuntu LTS is similiar but less "customized" - some components get a version bump whereas on CentOS they backport patches mostly.
If, however, you plan to keep it up-to-date, try new hardware in the cluster, try new features and want to tune ceph/kernel/hardware often, then Ubuntu (non-LTS) is the way to go.
YMMV, but when investigating issue on CentOS (or RHEL) you don't really know what you are running as the version numbers are misleading. Their kernel stack is the worst offender of all, full of backported features and fixes and internal hacks that simply were't there in the supposed "version". Try tuning their VM settings and you'll see their 2.6 kernel is neither 2.6 nor 3.x nor 4.x, but a mix of all - I hope at least with RHEL their technical support would know what to do but... we all know how support works, right? :)
Generally, newer OS will run more happily than an old one, but it more unpredictable.

I'd much rather upgrade the whole stack (OS+Ceph) and concentrate on testing the upgrades, than to rely on vendor to test everything for me and stay on ancient versions, but that really depends on what your cluster will be used for.

Jan