Re: Intel S3710 400GB and Samsung PM863 480GB fio results

Le 22/12/2015 17:36, Tyler Bishop a écrit :
> Write endurance is kinda bullshit.
>
> We have crucial 960gb drives storing data and we've only managed to take 2% off the drives life in the period of a year and hundreds of tb written weekly.

This is not really helpful without more context.

This would help if you stated:
* the exact model including the firmware version,
* how many SSDs are used to handle these hundreds of TB written weekly
(if you use 1000 SSDs your numbers don't mean the same thing that if you
use only 10 of them on your cluster),
* if you use them as journals, storage or both,
* if it is 200TB or 900TB weekly,
* if you include the replication size in the amount written (and/or the
double writes if you use them for both journal and store).

If you imply that the 2% is below what you would expect according to the
total TBW specified for your model you clearly have a problem and I
wouldn't trust these drives: the manufacturer is lying to you one way or
another. If it underestimates the TBW then fine (but why would it look
bad on purpose ?) but if it overestimates the reported life expectancy
because of a bug you can expect a catastrophic failure if you hit the
real limit before replacing the SSDs.

One year is a bit short to have a real experience on endurance too: some
consumer-level drives (Samsung 850 PRO IIRC) have been known to fail
early (far before their expected life felled to 0 according to their
SMART attributes), although I don't remember seeing any reports for
Crucial SSD yet. If you replaced Crucial 960gb by 850 Pro in your
statement I'd clearly worry about your cluster failing badly in the
short future. Without knowing more about the exact model you use and the
real numbers for your cluster I don't know what could happen.

Lionel