Re: radosgw bucket index sharding tips?

On 12/17/2015 05:27 PM, Florian Haas wrote:
> Hey Wido,
>
> On Dec 17, 2015 09:52, "Wido den Hollander" <wido@xxxxxxxx
> <mailto:wido@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/17/2015 06:29 AM, Ben Hines wrote:
>> >

>> > On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Florian Haas <florian@xxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:florian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> > <mailto:florian@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:florian@xxxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     Hi Ben & everyone,
>> >

>> >     Ben, you wrote elsewhere
>> >
>  (http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2015-August/003955.html)
>> >     that you found approx. 900k objects to be the threshold where index
>> >     sharding becomes necessary. Have you found that to be a reasonable
>> >     rule of thumb, as in "try 1-2 shards per million objects in your
> most
>> >     populous bucket"? Also, do you reckon that beyond that, more shards
>> >     make things worse?
>> >

>> > Oh, and to answer this part.   I didn't do that much experimentation
>> > unfortunately.  I actually am using about 24 index shards per bucket
>> > currently and we delete each bucket once it hits about a million
>> > objects. (it's just a throwaway cache for us) Seems ok, so i stopped
>> > tweaking.
>> >

>> I have a use case where I need to store 350 Million objects in a single
>> bucket.
>
> How many OSDs are in that cluster?

1800 and it will grow towards 2500 in Q1 2016.

>> I tested with 4096 shards and that works. Creating the bucket takes a
>> few seconds though.
>
> Does "that works" mean that you have actually uploaded 350M objects into
> that one bucket?

No, still in progress. The bucket functions, that is what I meant.

> If so, can you give me a feel for your typical object size?

It varies. It is a archiving solution and I'm not in control there.

> Also, what's the performance drop you saw in bucket listing, vs. having
> fewer shards or no sharding at all?

There is a drop in listing performance, didn't completely measure it,
but I think that with 4k shards the listing was a few seconds.

In this use-case we are not going to list the bucket, ever.

--
Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.

Phone: +31 (0)20 700 9902