radosgw bucket index sharding tips?

Anyone have any data on optimal # of shards for a radosgw bucket index?

We've had issues with bucket index contention with a few million+
objects in a single bucket so i'm testing out the sharding.

Perhaps at least one shard per OSD? Or, less? More?

I noticed some discussion here regarding slow bucket listing with
~200k obj -- http://cephnotes.ksperis.com/blog/2015/05/12/radosgw-big-index
- bucket list seems significantly impacted.

But i'm more concerned about general object put  (write) / object read
speed since 'bucket listing' is not something that we need to do. Not
sure if the index has to be completely read to write an object into
it?

thanks-

-Ben