Re: Monitors - proactive questions about quantity, placement and protection

On 12/11/2015 08:12 PM, Alex Gorbachev wrote:
> This is a proactive message to summarize best practices and options
> working with monitors, especially in a larger production environment
> (larger for me is > 3 racks).
>
> I know MONs do not require a lot of resources, but prefer to run on SSDs
> for response time.  Also that you need an odd number, as you must have a
> simple majority present.  MON uses leveldb and that data is constantly
> changing, so traditional backups are not relevant/useful.
>
> There has been uncertainty whether more than 3 MONs will cause any
> performance issues in a cluster.  To that extent, may I ask from both
> the Ceph development community and the excellent power user contributors
> on this list:
>
> - Is there any performance impact to running > 3 MONs?

No, but as your cluster grows larger with >100k PGs you might need
additional monitors to handle all the PG stats.

> - Is anyone running > 3 MONs in production and what are your experiences?

Yes, running 5 in multiple setups with >1000 OSDs. Works just fine.

> - Has anyone had a need to back up their MONs and any recovery
> experience, such
> as http://blog.widodh.nl/2014/03/safely-backing-up-your-ceph-monitors ?

I do it sometimes just for disaster purposes. Never needed them to
recover a cluster.

What you could do every day is:

$ ceph osd dump -o osdmap
$ ceph pg dump -o pgmap
$ ceph mon getmap -o monmap
$ ceph osd getcrushmap -o crushmap

That will give you some metadata.

> Our cluster has 8 racks right now, and I would love to place a MON at
> the top of the rack (maybe on SDN switches in the future - why not?).
> Thank you for helping answer these questions.
>
> --
> Alex Gorbachev
> Storcium

Wido den Hollander