Monitors - proactive questions about quantity, placement and protection

This is a proactive message to summarize best practices and options working with monitors, especially in a larger production environment (larger for me is > 3 racks).

I know MONs do not require a lot of resources, but prefer to run on SSDs for response time.  Also that you need an odd number, as you must have a simple majority present.  MON uses leveldb and that data is constantly changing, so traditional backups are not relevant/useful.

There has been uncertainty whether more than 3 MONs will cause any performance issues in a cluster.  To that extent, may I ask from both the Ceph development community and the excellent power user contributors on this list:

- Is there any performance impact to running > 3 MONs?

- Is anyone running > 3 MONs in production and what are your experiences?

- Has anyone had a need to back up their MONs and any recovery experience, such as http://blog.widodh.nl/2014/03/safely-backing-up-your-ceph-monitors ?

Our cluster has 8 racks right now, and I would love to place a MON at the top of the rack (maybe on SDN switches in the future - why not?).  Thank you for helping answer these questions.

--
Alex Gorbachev
Storcium