From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Wido den Hollander
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:56 PM
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  RGW pool contents

On 11/24/2015 08:48 PM, Somnath Roy wrote:
> Hi Yehuda/RGW experts,
>
> I have one cluster with RGW up and running in the customer site.
>
> I did some heavy performance testing on that with CosBench and as a
> result written significant amount of data to showcase performance on that.
>
> Over time, customer also wrote significant amount of data using S3 api
> into the cluster.
>
> Now, I want to remove the buckets/objects created by CosBench and need
> some help on that.
>
> I ran the following command to list the buckets.
>

> "radosgw-admin bucket list"
>

> The output is the following snippet..
>

>     "rgwdef42",
>
>     "rgwdefghijklmnop79",
>
>     "rgwyzabc43",
>
>     "rgwdefgh43",
>
>     "rgwdefghijklm200",

> My understanding is , cosbench should create containers with
> "*mycontainers_*<n>"  and objects with format "*myobjects*_<n>" prefix
> (?). But, it's not there in the output of the above command.

Well, if it did, they should show up there.

> Next, I tried to list the contents of the different rgw pools..
>

> *rados -p .rgw.buckets.index ls*
>

> .dir.default.5407.17
>
> .dir.default.6063.24
>
> .dir.default.6068.23
>
> .dir.default.6046.7
>
> .dir.default.6065.44
>
> .dir.default.5409.3

> Nothing with rgw prefix...Shouldn't the bucketindex objects having
> similar prefix with bucket names ?

No, there are the internal IDs of the buckets. You can find the actual bucket objects in the ".rgw" pool.

> Now, tried to get the actual objects...
>
> *rados -p .rgw.buckets ls*
>

> default.6662.5_myobjects57862
>
> default.5193.18_myobjects6615
>
> default.5410.5_myobjects68518
>
> default.6661.8_myobjects7407
>
> default.5410.22_myobjects54939
>
> default.6651.6_myobjects23790

> So, looking at these, it seems cosbench run is creating the
> (?)

No, again, the .dir.default.X is the internal ID of the bucket. It creates "myobject" object on those buckets.

> But, these buckets are not listed by the first "radosgw-admin"
> command, *why ?*
>

> Next, I listed the contents of the .rgw pool and here is the output..
>

> *rados -p .rgw ls*
>

> .bucket.meta.rgwdefghijklm78:default.6069.18
>
> rgwdef42
>
> rgwdefghijklmnop79
>
> rgwyzabc43
>
> .bucket.meta.rgwdefghijklmnopqr71:default.6655.3
>
> rgwdefgh43
>
> .bucket.meta.rgwdefghijklm119:default.6066.25
>
> rgwdefghijklm200
>
> .bucket.meta.rgwxghi2:default.5203.4
>
> rgwxjk17
>
> rgwdefghijklm196

> It seems this pool has the buckets listed by the radosgw-admin command.
>

> Can anybody explain what is *.rgw pool* supposed to contain ?

This pool contains only the bucket metadata objects, here it references to the internal IDs.

You can fetch this with 'radosgw-admin metadata get bucket:XX'

> Also, what is the difference between .*users.uid and .users pool* ?

In the .user.uid pool the RGW can do a quick query for users IDs since that is required for matching ACLs which might be on a bucket and/or object.

Wido

> Appreciate any help on this.
>

> Thanks & Regards
>
> Somnath