Re: CEPH over SW-RAID

Le 23/11/2015 21:58, Jose Tavares a écrit :

> AFAIK, people are complaining about lots os bad blocks in the new big
> disks. The hardware list seems to be small and unable to replace
> theses blocks.

Note that if by big disks you mean SMR-based disks, they can exhibit
what looks like bad blocks but are actually consequences of a firmware
and/or kernel driver bug (I understand recent Linux kernels are
SMR-aware in some way as the bug is not reproducible on all kernel
versions, typically not on older versions). These drives should not be
used like "normal" drives anyway (by design they only work well when no
rewriting of existing sectors happen), so most Ceph clusters should
avoid them.

Lionel