Re: CEPH over SW-RAID

So I assume we _are_ talking about bit-rot?

> On 23 Nov 2015, at 18:37, Jose Tavares <jat@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Yes, but with SW-RAID, when we have a block that was read and does not
> match its checksum, the device falls out of the array, and the data is read
> again from the other devices in the array.

That's not true. SW-RAID reads data from one drive only. Comparison of the data on different drives only happens when a check is executed, and that's doesn't help with bit-rot one bit :-) (the same goes for various SANs and arrays, but those usually employ additional CRC for data so their BER is orders of magnitude higher.)

> The problem is that in SW-RAID1
> we don't have the badblocks isolated. The disks can be sincronized again as
> the write operation is not tested. The problem (device falling out of the
> array) will happen again if we try to read any other data written over the
> bad block.

Not true either. Bit-rot happens not (only) when the data gets written wrong, but when it is read. If you read one block long enough you will get wrong data once every $BER_bits. Rewriting the data doesn't help.
(It's a bit different with some SSDs that don't refresh blocks so rewriting/refreshing them might help).

> My new question regarding Ceph is if it isolates this bad sectors where it
> found bad data when scrubbing? or there will be always a replica of
> something over a known bad block..?
>
> I also saw that Ceph use same metrics when capturing data from disks. When
> the disk is resetting or have problems, its metrics are going to be bad and
> the cluster will rank bad this osd. But I didn't saw any way of sending
> alerts or anything like that. SW-RAID has its mdadm monitor that alerts
> when things go bad. Should I have to be looking for ceph logs all the time
> to see when things go bad?

You should graph every drive and look for anomalies. Ceph only detects a problem when the drive is already very unusable (the ceph-osd process itself blocks for tens of seconds typically).
CEPH is not really good when it comes to latency SLAs, no matter how much you try, but that's usually sufficient.