Re: CephFS and page cache

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015, Yan, Zheng wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 8:38 PM, Yan, Zheng <ukernel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 1:10 AM, Burkhard Linke
> >>>

> >> fuse kernel code invalidates page cache on opening file. you can
> >> disable this behaviour by setting ""fuse use invalidate cb"  config
> >> option to true.
> >
> > Zheng, do you know any reason we shouldn't make that the default value
> > now? There was a loopback deadlock (which is why it's disabled by
> > default) but I don't remember the details offhand well enough to know
> > if your recent work in those interfaces has fixed it. Or Sage?
> > -Greg
>
> there is no loopback deadlock now, because we use a separate thread to
> invalidate kernel page cache. I think we can enable this option
> safely.

...as long as nobody blocks waiting for invalidate while holding a lock
(client_lock?) that could prevent other fuse ops like write (pretty sure
that was the deadlock we saw before).  I worry this could still happen
with a writer (or reader?) getting stuck in a check_caps() type situation
while the invalidate cb is waiting on a page lock held by the calling
kernel syscall...

sage