Re: BAD nvme SSD performance

Hello,

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 14:35:19 +0100 Wido den Hollander wrote:

> On 26-10-15 14:29, Matteo Dacrema wrote:
> > Hi Nick,
> >

> > I also tried to increase iodepth but nothing has changed.
> >

> > With iostat I noticed that the disk is fully utilized and write per
> > seconds from iostat match fio output.
> >

> Ceph isn't fully optimized to get the maximum potential out of NVME SSDs
> yet.

Indeed. Don't expect Ceph to be near raw SSD performance.

However he writes that per iostat the SSD is fully utilized.

Matteo, can you run run atop instead of iostat and confirm that:

a) utilization of the SSD is 100%.
b) CPU is not the bottleneck.

My guess would be these particular NVMe SSDs might just suffer from the
same direct sync I/O deficiencies as other Samsung SSDs.
This feeling is re-affirmed by seeing Samsung listing them as a Client
SSDs, not data center one.
http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/flash-storage/client-ssd/MZHPV256HDGL?ia=831

Regards,

Christian