Re: Problems with ceph_rest_api after update

John,

Aha, thanks for that -- that got me closer to the problem.

I forgot an important detail: A few days before the upgrade, I set the cluster and public networks in the config files on the nodes to the "back-end" network, which the MON nodes don't have access to.  I suspected that this was a bad idea at the time, but since it didn't break anything (we are still in test mode on this cluster, so downtime is completely fine), I figured it somehow didn’t matter.  I must have forgotten to restart the ceph service on the MONs so the symptom didn't appear until the ceph upgrade.

I just switched the public network back to the "front-end network", which the MONs do have access to, and now the ceph_rest_api runs fine (and your "tell osd.0 version" does as well).  So that problem's solved.

But now we're back to the original problem, which is why I was monkeying with the "public network" config entry to begin with.  Let me explain:

As I said, we have two separate networks:

10.197.5.0/24 - The "front-end" network, "skinny pipe", all 1Gbe, intended to be a management or control plane network
10.174.1.0/24 - The "back-end" network, "fat pipe", all OSD nodes use 2x bonded 10Gbe, intended to be a data network

So we want all of the OSD traffic to go over the "back end", and the MON traffic to go over the "front end".  We thought the following would do that:

public network = 10.197.5.0/24   # skinny pipe, mgmt & MON traffic
cluster network = 10.174.1.0/24  # fat pipe, OSD traffic

But that doesn't seem to be the case -- iftop and netstat show that little/no OSD communication is happening over the 10.174.1 network and it's all happening over the 10.197.5 network.

What configuration should we be running to enforce the networks per our design?  Thanks!

Jon Heese
Systems Engineer
INetU Managed Hosting
P: 610.266.7441 x 261
F: 610.266.7434
www.inetu.net

** This message contains confidential information, which also may be privileged, and is intended only for the person(s) addressed above. Any unauthorized use, distribution, copying or disclosure of confidential and/or privileged information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify the sender immediately via reply e-mail. **