Re: CephFS and page cache

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Dan van der Ster <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So: the key thing to realise is that caching behaviour is full of
>> tradeoffs, and this is really something that needs to be tunable, so
>> that it can be adapted to the differing needs of different workloads.
>> Having an optional "hold onto caps for N seconds after file close"
>> sounds like it would be the right tunable for your use case, right?
>>

> I think that would help. Caching is pretty essential so we'd buy more
> MDS's and loads of RAM if CephFS became a central part of our
> infrastructure.
>
> But looking forward, if CephFS could support the immutable bit --
> chattr +i <file> -- then maybe the MDS wouldn't need to track clients
> who have such files cached. (Immutable files would be useful for other
> reasons too, like archiving!)

Hmm, if we didn't know which clients were accessing a +i file, then we
would have to do a global broadcast when we removed the attribute
(typically to delete the file), to tell all the clients to drop the
file from cache, and wait for a message from every client indicating
that they had dropped it.

For example, if you had an immutable /usr/bin/foo, and someone had it
in their cache but the MDS didn't know they had it in their cache,
then when you upgraded that package (replaced the binary file with
another), the MDS wouldn't know who to tell that they should no longer
use the old instance of the file.

More generally though, there probably are good cases where we should
do different caching behaviour on +i files, I hadn't really thought
about it before.

John