Re: mds issue

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 10:30 PM, Erming Pei <erming@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    After I set up more than 1 mds servers, it sometimes gets stuck or slow
> from client end. I tried to stop one mds and then the client end will hang
> there.
>
>    I accidentally set up bal frag=true. Not sure if it matters. Later I
> disabled this feature.
>
>    Is there any reason for the above issue? What can be done to check or
> tune the mds performance?

Running multiple active MDS daemons is not currently very well tested.

>   Can I just reduce the mds number on the fly?

Yes, you can adjust the desired number of active MDSs with "ceph mds
set max_mds <number>".  When you are decreasing it, you will also need
to tell ceph which MDS you would like to lose.  So for example, if you
have two active MDSs, and you want to only have one, you would run:
ceph mds set max_mds 1
ceph mds deactivate 1

If you look at ceph status, you will see one MDS go into "up:stopping"
state for a while, before eventually going to standby.

John