Re: how to get cow usage of a clone

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a good answer to this unless you had created a snapshot of the clone before you made any modifications.  The problem is that 'rbd diff' will always include the parent image diffs (as you've discovered) unless a snapshot is specified.

The forthcoming infernalis release includes a new "rbd disk-usage <image-spec>" command which will accomplish what you desire.  It rounds up per-object usage to the full object size for speed, which is probably a closer representation of actual OSD disk usage anyway.  If you are feeling experimental, you could install the infernalis-based rbd tools from the Ceph gitbuilder [1] into a sandbox environment and use the tool against your pre-infernalis cluster.

[1] http://ceph.com/gitbuilder.cgi

--

Jason Dillaman