Re: Poor Read Performance with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 3.19.0-30 Kernel

> Hi,
>
> Very interesting!  Did you upgrade the kernel on both the OSDs and clients
or
> just some of them?  I remember there were some kernel performance
> regressions a little while back.  You might try running perf during your
tests
> and look for differences.  Also, iperf might be worth trying to see if
it's a
> network regression.
>
> I also have a script that compares output from sysctl which might be worth
> trying to see if any defaults changes.
>
> https://github.com/ceph/cbt/blob/master/tools/compare_sysctl.py
>
> basically just save systctl -a with both kernels and pass them as
arguments to
> the python script.
>
> Mark

Mark,

The testing was done with 3.19 on the client with 3.13 on the OSD nodes
using "rados bench -p bench 50 seq" with an initial "rados bench -p bench 50
write --no-cleanup". We suspected the network as well and tested with iperf
as one of our first steps and saw expected speeds (9.9Gb/s as we are using
bonded X540-T2 interfaces) on both kernels. As an added data point, we have
no problem with write performance to the same pool with the same kernel
configuration (~1GB/s). We also checked the values of read_ahead_kb of the
block devices but both were shown to be the default of 128 (we have since
changed these to 4096 in our configuration, but the results were seen with
the default of 128).

We are in the process of rebuilding the entire cluster to use 3.13 and a
completely fresh installation of Ceph to make sure nothing else is at play
here.

We did check a few things in iostat and collectl, but we didn't see any read
IO against the OSDs, so I am leaning towards something further up the stack.

Just a little more background on the cluster configuration:

Specific pool created just for benchmarking, using 512 pgs and pgps and 2
replicas. Using 3 OSD nodes (also handling MON duties) with 8 SATA 7.2K RPM
OSDs and 2 NVMe journals (4 OSD to 1 Journal ratio). 1 x Hex core CPUs with
32GB of RAM per OSD node.

Tom