Re: ceph-fuse and its memory usage

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 1:57 AM, John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 2:42 AM, Goncalo Borges
> <goncalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Dear CephFS Gurus...
>>
>> I have a question regarding ceph-fuse and its memory usage.
>>
>> 1./ My Ceph and CephFS setups are the following:
>>
>> Ceph:
>> a. ceph 9.0.3
>> b. 32 OSDs distributed in 4 servers (8 OSD per server).
>> c. 'osd pool default size = 3' and 'osd pool default min size = 2'
>> d. All servers running Centos6.7
>>
>> CephFS:
>> e. a single mds
>> f. dedicated pools for data and metadata
>> g. clients in different locations / sites mounting CephFS via ceph-fuse
>> h. All servers and clients running Centos6.7
>>
>> 2./ I have been running fio tests in two CephFS clients:
>>     - Client A is in the same data center as all OSDs connected at 1 GbE
>>     - Client B is in a different data center (in another city) also
>> connected at 1 GbE. However, I've seen that the connection is problematic,
>> and sometimes, the network performance is well bellow the theoretical 1 Gbps
>> limit.
>>     - Client A has 24 GB RAM + 98 GB of SWAP and client B has 48 GB of RAM +
>> 98 GB of SWAP
>>
>> 3./ I have been running some fio write tests (with 128 threads) in both
>> clients, and surprisingly, the results show that the aggregated throughput
>> is better for client B than client A.
>>
>> CLIENT A results:
>> # grep agg
>> fio128threadsALL/fio128write_ioenginelibaio_iodepth64_direct1_bs512K_20151001015558.out
>> WRITE: io=1024.0GB, aggrb=114878KB/s, minb=897KB/s, maxb=1785KB/s,
>> mint=4697347msec, maxt=9346754msec
>>
>> CLIENT B results:
>> #  grep agg
>> fio128threadsALL/fio128write_ioenginelibaio_iodepth64_direct1_bs512K_20151001015555.out
>> WRITE: io=1024.0GB, aggrb=483254KB/s, minb=3775KB/s, maxb=3782KB/s,
>> mint=2217808msec, maxt=2221896msec
>>
>> 4./ If I actually monitor the memory usage of ceph-fuse during the I/O
>> tests, I see that
>>
>> CLIENT A: ceph-fuse does not seem to go behond 7GB of VMEM and 1 GB of RMEM.
>> CLIENT B: ceph-fuse uses 11 GB of VMEM and 7 GB of RMEM.
>>
>> 5./ These results make me think that caching is playing a critical role in
>> these results.
>>
>> My questions are the following:
>>
>> a./ Why CLIENT B uses more memory than CLIENT A? My hint is that there is a
>> network bottleneck between CLIENT B and the Ceph Cluster, and memory is more
>> used because of that.
>
> This is weird, and I don't have an explanation.  I would be surprised
> if network latency was influencing timing enough to create such a
> dramatic difference in caching behaviour.
>
> Are both clients running the same version of ceph-fuse and the same
> version of the kernel?

Yeah at 483254KB/s (~480MB/s!) you're clearly exceeding how much the
network can actually support and are just writing into RAM. Something
in the stack is not actually forcing the data to go out to the OSDs
before being acknowledged. Check that all your fio settings are the
same and that directIO is actually doing what you expect, that you
haven't disabled any of that stuff in the kernel, etc.
-Greg