Fwd: CephFS : check if rados objects are linked to inodes

Sorry, missed out the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 12:18 PM
Subject: Re:  CephFS : check if rados objects are linked to inodes
To: Florent B <florent@xxxxxxxxxxx>

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Florent B <florent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I always have my problem of "non-deleted" objects in rados after
> deleting files in CephFS.
>
> I have a pool, containing 10GB of objects, all related to CephFS
> (10000abcdef.0000000X).
>
> But the only directory stored in this pool is 82MB sized.
>
> Is there any tool, to check if rados objects are really linked to files
> in CephFS ? And to delete the non-used ones ?

Not yet -- fsck and repair are under development.  The recent
"Question on cephfs recovery tools" thread gives some sense of the
current state of these.  The tools that enable checking if an inode is
linked are not yet merged into master (various pull requests are in
flight), and definitely not sufficiently tested to recommend you using
on this cluster.

If you have relatively few files, you can do this stuff "by hand" with
some scripting.  Do an "ls -lRi", build a list of all the inodes that
are linked, then do a "rados -p data ls" and check if each object's
inode number is in the list of linked inodes.  That's going to be
really slow though!  One of the features of the real recovery tools is
sharding the work out to multiple workers to make it through in more
reasonable time.

John