ESXI 5.5 Update 3 and LIO

Hi All,

Just browsing through the release notes of the latest ESXi update and can see this

During transient error conditions, I/O to a device might repeatedly fail and not failover to an alternate working path
During transient error conditions like BUS BUSY, QFULL, HOST ABORTS, HOST RETRY and so on, you might repeatedly attempt commands on current path and do not failover to another path even after a reasonable amount of time.

This issue is resolved in this release. During occurrence of such transient errors, if the path is busy after a couple of retries, the path state is now changed to DEAD. As a result, a failover is triggered and an alternate working path to the device is used to send I/Os.

Just wondering if this has any positive effect on the problems many of us experience with LIO and ESXi entering a never ending loop when a RBD hangs for more than a couple of seconds? I can probably put something together and test this next week, but would be interested in hearing from anyone else.

Copying you in Mike as I don’t know if this would be interesting to you or not?

Nick