Re: benefit of using stripingv2

Hi Greg,

Am 17.09.2015 um 16:42 schrieb Gregory Farnum:
> Briefly, if you do a lot of small direct IOs (for instance, a database
> journal) then striping lets you send each sequential write to a
> separate object. This means they don't pile up behind each other
> grabbing write locks and can complete in parallel. Striping them
> instead of just having small block-sized objects means the objects are
> still of a reasonable size for RADOS.

Sounds good - why not enabled it always/ by default? Is the only drawback
that there's no support by kernel rbd? What's the recommended stripe size
for "normal" qemu workloads? 64k?

> I *think* that's just because the features are only filled in if
> they're in use (the kernel doesn't/didn't support striping, despite
> supporting other V2 image features) and required to understand the
> image, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you or forgetting how the RBD
> team set things up.

That doesn't seem to be the case. When I use librbd direcly (for example
using ceph-ruby) the feature is immediately visible, just as all other
features.

Thanks!

Corin