Re: benefit of using stripingv2

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Corin Langosch
<corin.langosch@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> afaik rbd always splits the image into chunks of size 2^order (2^22 = 4MB by default). What's the benefit of specifying
> the feature flag "STRIPINGV2"? I couldn't find any documenation about it except
> http://ceph.com/docs/master/man/8/rbd/#striping which doesn't explain the benefits (or I just don't get it). Better docs
> in this area would be greatm, so I created an issue for that: http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/13123

Briefly, if you do a lot of small direct IOs (for instance, a database
journal) then striping lets you send each sequential write to a
separate object. This means they don't pile up behind each other
grabbing write locks and can complete in parallel. Striping them
instead of just having small block-sized objects means the objects are
still of a reasonable size for RADOS.

> I also noticed the rbd client (0.94.3) ignores the striping feature on image creation, I created issue
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/13122 for that. It is really a bug or does it mean stripingv2 is going away and should
> not be used?

I *think* that's just because the features are only filled in if
they're in use (the kernel doesn't/didn't support striping, despite
supporting other V2 image features) and required to understand the
image, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you or forgetting how the RBD
team set things up.
-Greg