Re: Huge memory usage spike in OSD on hammer/giant

Well, if you plan for OSD to have 2GB per daemon and suddenly it eats
4x as much RAM you might get cluster to a unrecoverable state if you
can't just increase amount of RAM at will. I managed to recover it
because I had only 4 OSDs per machine but I cant imagine what would
happen on 36 OSD machine...

Of course, failure on my cluster was extreme case (flapping caused by
NIC driver basically made most of PGs be on "wrong" OSDs causing
excessige memory usage) but if one bad driver can get cluster to such
hard to recover state it is pretty bad

And swap wont help in that case as it only will make daemons to
time-out.

It would be preferable to have slower recovery and not have kernel
OOM-killing processes every few minutes.